Monday, October 27, 2014

My World 2015 and mobiles - post 6 of 6 - concluding thoughts and questions

These 6 posts aimed to give a summary of the groundbreaking My World 2015 survey and explore how mobiles have been and are being used to promote and distribute the survey.

My World 2015 aims to survey individuals across the globe with regard to their priorities in public policy. The survey allows respondents to choose 6 out of 16 pre-selected priorities or to submit their own priority in a 17th ‘fill-in-the-blank’ option. Respondents have participated in the survey via pen-and-paper ballot, via a central website, and through mobile technology (SMS, IVR, and a mobile application).


To review the posts from the beginning, here are the links: 


  1. My World 2015 and mobiles - post 1 of 6 - an introduction to the posts
  2. What is My World 2015? My World and mobiles - post 2 of 6
  3. How are mobile phones used to distribute the My World survey? My World and mobiles - post 3 of 6
  4. Interactive voice response (IVR) and My World 2015 - My World and mobiles - post 4 of 6
  5. biNu and My World 2015 - My World and mobiles - post 5 of 6
  6. And this one...

Some questions I am still looking to answer when it comes to how My World is getting done...


  1. How were the 16 priorities were determined? My understanding as described in the paper is 1) the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Campaign made 15 thematic categories based on the MDGs and existing related research, 2) A Uganda mobile survey asked users to name one policy area of priority and these were cross-checked with the 15 thematic categories, 3) A network of MDG and development experts were consulted and the 16 topics were finalised. 
  2. Any specifics on dropout rates available (per SMS, IVR, biNU)? 
  3. Did the positioning of the priorities in the survey (e.g. healthcare offered as an early option to respondents) possibly impact decision, or were priority positions random in the different survey methods? 
  4. Can anyone find the link to Yemen video seen by 3 000+ viewers? Was this also actively distributed on Facebook, Twitter, etc or was there no point given it was on Yemeni TV?
  5. Where exactly was interactive voice response (IVR) offered as a survey option? I can find specific mentions of Yemen, Rwanda, and India, but a My World ‘How To’ document suggests that additional countries (Bolivia, DRC, the Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, and Bangladesh?) may also have included IVR options. 
  6. Is this link to the SMS version of the survey distributed in Yemen and only SMS in only Yemen or all the types of the survey done in Yemen? 
  7. Any study comparing SMS vs. IVR (dropout rates, response rate, etc.)? 
  8. How many SMS messages in the survey? Was it one text per priority or one text per four priorities (as with IVR)? Were these four priorities grouped together randomly?  
  9. A cost analysis or proposal would be great to see to have an idea of overall costs for GeoPoll's partnership or biNu's promotional work. 
  10. biNu has a number of unregistered users – could these individuals fill out the survey? 
  11. How does biNu offer advertising, e.g. is it similar to Facebook ads or is it just Facebook ads? I Googled this but could find no clear examples of biNu ads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment